Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Update

Ok so Rachel keeps reminding me it has now been months since I have posted. My life has become the life of a very old person for the most part. I loved my time on pediatrics, and I mean LOVED it. I have been on surgery for the last 6 weeks (almost) and while the surgeries can be extremely cool the life sucks, correction is nonexistent. While on trauma and general I was at the hospital by no later than 4:30 am and left around 6 every day. Most of the day was spent doing nothing for long periods of time interrupted by some scut work for the residents and then every now and then getting to scrub in. The gist of surgery is to find out if they are eating, pooping and walking (if possible) and then move them along. I do enjoy the fact that I have now seen brain not in a bucket but in the head (pretty nifty how they de-scalp to reveal it), I can stitch or staple up a laceration, and identify a hernia with the best of them. However, I have had zero time to study and am pretty much exhausted everyday to the point of not being able to stay awake for my 9 o clock shows. Needless to say I will be excited at the end of my 7th week of surgery because week 8 is tests and I will not be working. After surgery I'll be on neurology for 4 with single digit hour work days and then psych for another 4, and apparently wearing a skirt on the psych rotation is a bad idea. I will have to say I'm pretty set on peds right now because my two weeks of peds surgery has been soooo much better than the other weeks on surgery mainly because I get to see kids.

So back to the being old. I have turned 24 in the past three months of nonposting. Also happy 25th to Rach, 26th (21st) to Alex, AND then my niece is now 12. TWELVE, she is now the age I was when she was born. Ashley had her first school dance last Friday and there is talk of a boy...they grow up so fast it's crazy.

I have a wedding to be in on November 15th which will make me the final of me heather w and heather to get married. Heather W the first, to be married is also now pregnant, congrats to her. All this makes me feel very behind the curve, but oh well.

Dad has been having bad back problems and went to the spine doc on Monday for some bad news. They told him there was nothing they could do to relieve the pain and his only option at all is surgery. The surgery they want to do is not a pretty one for the surgery and for recovery. So his goal right now is to try and get to retirement (another 4 years) if at all possible so he doesn't lose about 100,000 in his retirement. He really can't stand upright currently so he's going to try and get a second opinion or find someone that will at least give him an epidural, which these would not.

Let's see otherwise ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Boo for me being old, but yay for you posting!